Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Refining the Research Topic



·      

   Exploring the educational potential of Facebook to support active learning and collaboration.

I believe Facebook can facilitate collaboration and interaction by providing tools for communication, content sharing and organised groups and such facilities can be used to support educational activities like collaboration and discussion between learners. There is research literature to support this.

I have been looking at a present focus – use research literature what we’ve learned from the past to inform better implementation in the future. I think this fits well with social media - in this instance Facebook. Although Facebook is relatively new eg 2004, it has come such a long way in such a short time. The achievements are remarkable and I think there are many  opportunities for teachers and students to benefit from using Facebook as a collaboration platform and it can be seen as a valuable academic resource for the classroom.

I am very conscious of how Facebook has evolved and the challenges for teachers who are using it and integrating it into the classroom/school environment.  Using social media (FB) in the classroom has undoubtedly highlighted change for the way we teach, how we teach, how the students use it and how they are receptive to it. Does it have the potential to enhance learning, increase teacher-student interaction, increase class satisfaction and create a sense of community? I think it does and there is certainly literature to suggest it does have potential benefits.So my research topic (at this stage) is "Exploring the educational potential of Facebook to support active learning and collaboration".

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra

    Facebook is such a great resource for schools! A huge advantage with using Facebook is that so many people are already using it, so there isn't a need to educate them on getting started (although there are still a few who haven't signed up!).

    I tried to get Google Plus started at my previous school, but eventually gave up as there was no buy in from parents. This was a pity, as it's a quality resource that offers many things that Facebook doesn't (e.g. video conferencing with up to nine people - for free!!!).

    I'll be following your research with interest. Please feel free to contact me at any stage, as I've done quite a lot with Facebook in my current and previous schools (check links on www.lakeview.school.nz and www.saintmarys.school.nz)

    I hope it goes well!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tim for the encouraging post. I have read a couple of your posts in your blog and it sounds really interesting and positive to be able to use both school experiences in your research. Thanks too, for the offer of contact, I just might do that!!

    ReplyDelete